New scholarship offered in honor of Feb. 14 victims

By AMANDA WALDE

Huskies with diverse character and university involvement may utilize their charisma through a new scholarship fund.

In honor of the lives lost on Feb. 14, the “Forward, Together, Forward” scholarship offers an opportunity for students to seek redemption through commemoration.

Mallory M. Simpson, president of the NIU foundation Development Administration, said this is a wonderful way for students to express their commitment to the university as well as celebrate the lives of their fellow students lost on that horrific afternoon.

“Because the awards are based on character and values, the recipients will honor their lives through the work they are doing for the university today. There’s a legacy here,” Simpson said.

A committee of faculty, students and staff will award up to five of the $4,000 scholarships each year.

According to an Oct. 7 press release, Provost Raymond Alden, part of the scholarship committee, feels the award will be among the most scholarly because it is awarded on personal merit and scholarly achievement.

“The students we lost had all been very engaged in the campus community and were very hard-working individuals who shared high-quality character,” Alden said in a press release.

The recipients will be chosen on the basis of academic credentials, with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA, and university involvement which includes awards, honors, community service, employment experience, extracurricular and leadership involvement, hobbies and special interests.

Applicants are also required to provide two credible letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be a part of the NIU community.

John Pletsch, sophomore geology major, feels the scholarship is an essential memorial for the five students.

“I would absolutely apply for the scholarship. It’s a great incentive for students to get involved in campus activities,” he said.

Ceci Benitez, junior psychology major, also feels the university is making a wonderful statement by awarding the scholarship to students.

“The school is saying, ‘these were our students and we are going to honor them with pride,'” she said. “This is a good opportunity for students to remember that day and the lives we lost. They will never be forgotten.”