College Democrats hold first meeting

By GILES BRUCE

Political races are heating up and the countdown to the Nov. 4 election stands at 55 days.

These facts were not lost on those in attendance at the College Democrats’ first meeting of the semester Tuesday at Grant South.

“This semester we’re hoping to increase voter turnout, making sure students know where to vote and when to vote,” said College Democrats President Tony Wadas, who said voter registration is the most important issue of the semester for the group.

Representatives for the campaigns of 14th District State Rep. Bill Foster (D-Geneva), Robert Abboud (running for 16th District State Rep.), and Greg Tuite (running for 69th District State Rep.) were in attendance. Former College Democrats President Kevin Chambliss, running for the 5th District of the DeKalb County Board, was also at the meeting.

“I call it my mini-UN,” Chambliss said of the 5th District. “There are so many different races, classes that are in my district.”

Chambliss’ campaign is focusing on civil rights issues, economic development, agriculture, unions, low income families and crime.

“Between 7-11 and Burritoville, there was a gang shooting,” he said. “That concerns me.”

Another NIU student, third-year law major Ryan Gailey, is running for State Senate in the 35th District. Gailey’s campaign is thinking positive despite running against Sen. Brad Burzynski (R-Clare), a Republican incumbent who’s been in office for 16 years.

“The trend is definitely turning in our favor,” said campaign manager Ryan Kerchner. “Things are looking pretty good.”

The campaign representatives gave their pitches to prospective interns and volunteers to an audience of about 30. Those running for office this fall believe their campaigns need plenty of help as Republican incumbents have been in office in all of the districts for at least 16 years, and in the case of the 69th District, 25 years.

As has been the case nationally since Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate, Palin was a major point of conversation.

“I don’t agree with her opinions, but I like the fact that she’s getting involved in politics,” Chambliss said. He said it is important that people of all backgrounds are involved in the political arena.

“Palin scares the hell out of me,” said senior English major Jeff Sturgill, who was attending his first College Democrats meeting. “I can’t stand the thought of her in office. Not because she’s a woman, because she’s a hypocrite.”