Student Affairs to improve quality of life for students

By AMANDA WALDE

Dr. Brian Hemphill, vice president of student affairs, addressed the campus in the 2008 State of the Division, Beyond Yesterday: Defining Our Future, and fall kick-off presentation.

Hemphill welcomed all new and returning employees to the university and introduced goals for the 2008-2009 school year.

Such objectives included identifying and responding to students’ needs and expectations regarding technology, as well as appointing a task force to review and recommend enhancements to the academic residential programs.

The challenges and the successes of the previous year did not go unforeseen. Hemphill gave his sincerest thanks and acknowledgments to the entire NIU staff for their courageous efforts during the trying events of last February.

Hemphill also made note of the many comments made by NIU employees regarding how effectively colleagues worked within and beyond their divisions.

Director of Judicial Affairs, Larry Bolles, unveiled his aspirations for the coming months.

“This is a road map to see what we are doing to improve the quality of life for students. It’s very important in light of everything that happened last year. This event gives us a chance to come together as community and continue healing,” Bolles said.

Members of the NIU community were also congratulated for their achievements throughout the 2007-2008 academic year, which included the 20th anniversary of the Unity and Diversity Committee and the creation of the Office of Support and Advocacy.

Founding director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center (LGBT), Margaret Cook, offered her input on Thursday’s event.

“It is a nice way to see your colleagues at the beginning of the year,” Cook said. “The Division of Student Affairs has helped build an enthusiastic tone for the year.”