New ‘90210′ rehashes much that was seen in ‘Beverly Hills, 90210′

By NYSSA BULKES

“90210” is one big copycat.

Sure, it’s a spin-off of the original show. Of course, the kids act older than they are. In the first five minutes of the show, my mouth dropped and I gasped, “But it’s family TV!”

Let’s say we’re not in Kansas anymore.

But one thing “90210” forgot in the West Beverly Hills parking lot was its creativity. Let’s start with the characters. Dixon is the protagonist family’s adopted son. His first stop at West Beverly is the school newspaper office. Hello, Brandon Walsh! If this is a trend, Dixon is well on his way to following in Brandon’s footsteps.

At the paper, he sees Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez. Hannah was born on the original series in 1994 as the daughter of Andrea Zuckerman, best friend to Brandon. I’m going to ignore the fact that she’s supposed to be 14 and not 16. Details, details.

Then there’s Annie who is the next Brenda Walsh. She’s into theater, she’s sociable and linked romantically to bad boy Ethan. Ethan, who is supposed to be Dylan McKay, is the jerk who can’t quite find himself.

I’m sorry, but no one can match Dylan McKay. Ever. “Beverly Hills, 90210” made the character an icon. Horrible try, new show. Please don’t try again.

The reason “Beverly Hills, 90210” was so great is it was original. Sure, it was among the many Aaron Spelling soap operas to grace the airwaves. However, it brought us the pretty people we wanted to see, and at the time, was still one of a kind. If we wanted to feel better about our own TV-centric lives, we watched Brenda and Kelly duke it out over Dylan.

On the plus side, the Peach Pit is back. It’s lost its 1950s-inspired décor and become a coffee bar by day, nightclub by night. Nat is back behind the counter and is, thankfully, the same. If Dixon gets a job at the Peach Pit, though, the show is really hurting for new ideas.

Also, in the event you’ve been living under a rock, Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty reprise their old characters, Kelly Taylor and Brenda Walsh, respectively. Kelly is West Beverly’s guidance counselor, and Brenda is a successful theater actress.

If anything, the shout-outs to the original series made the pilot worthwhile. Erin Silver, who goes just by Silver, is now 16 and part of the main cast. Like with Hannah, I’m not going to say anything about how she’s supposed to be 17 or 18 by now. I understand creative license. It was refreshing to see that they adopted parts of the old show rather than just copying them.

Jessica Walter (Arrested Development) rounds out the cast as the sassiest, wittiest, drunkest grandmother on TV. I loved every minute of her screen time. If anything, a new addition with no reference made to the Aaron Spelling-version was appreciated.

If you’ve seen “Beverly Hills, 90210,” you’ve seen “90210.”

Poor Aaron Spelling. He’s a-rolling in his grave as we speak.