Campus Parking Services offers variety of parking options

By EMILY GOINS

Students may notice that a portion of the parking lot behind the Campus Life Building has been blocked off due to recent construction of a chiller plant.

The new chiller plant is being built on the northeast corner of Newman Lane and Garden Road, located near the Asian American Center, said Lt. Curtis Young, director of Administrative Services and interim parking director.

Unfortunately, this construction takes away about 100 parking spaces for NIU faculty and staff.

The construction will last for the next two semesters and may possibly run into next summer, a maximum of 455 days of construction on the plant, Young said.

Alternative options that will make up for the lost parking spaces are currently being discussed.

“We are looking for spaces we aren’t currently utilizing that we can utilize better,” Young said.

For new students curious about regular parking, Campus Parking Services offers a variety of parking options for all students.

Commuting students that reside outside the city of DeKalb and graduate students who do not live in university-owned housing can buy a yellow parking permit. Yellow permits cost $75 for an annual pass.

The brown parking permit is $37 for an annual pass and is also available to students not living in university housing.

The orange parking permit is available to students who live in university housing. This permit costs $75 for a year.

Green parking permits offer remote parking for students living in university housing but at a smaller fee of $37 for an annual permit.

Blue parking permits are only available to faculty and university employees. Temporary and visitor parking permits can also be purchased at Parking Services, with the cost depending on the length of the visit.

Returning students may also notice an increase in parking permits this year. Young says that this increase is due to the rise in maintenance costs.

“These costs include repair costs, building new lots and snow removal, as well as an increase in cost of materials,” Young said.

Sophomore journalism major Chris Dertz likes the proximity the orange parking lots have to the dorms.

“I get orange permits because there are more orange parking lots,” Dertz said.

Many students enjoy the freedom of having a car on campus.

“While parking permits are expensive and parking lots are a bit less than convenient, I like having a car on campus because it allows for much more freedom. No more waiting for your parents to come get you or mooching off a friend for a ride somewhere,” said sophomore biology major Cole Lightfoot.

Campus Parking Services also offers its “Borrow a Bike” program. Any student, faculty or staff member with an NIU OneCard can check out a bike for free through this program.

They offer a selection of over 80 bicycles that come with a lock and optional helmet. Bikes can be borrowed for a period of up to two weeks.

Campus Parking Services is located at 121 Normal Road and is open 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.