Student opinions split over finals week decisions

By LEE BLANK

Finals are fast approaching, yet some students have already had their finals, and are not particularly happy about it.

“All the teachers [that held finals this week] are lazy and don’t want to push them back,” said Kristin Mociulewski, a senior journalism major.

Mociulewski was angry because she was not made aware that the final for a sociology class had been moved up to this week.

“The problem I have is that if the university extended the semester a week, that we should have that week,” said Brian Adams, senior journalism major. “The professors are just using their own discretion, which I think is wrong.”

Some faculty members would disagree with Adams.

“You have to make some considerations for students lives,” said Sabryna Cornish, an assistant communications professor.

Cornish said she scheduled finals this week to help her students.

“There are students who are starting jobs in the summer and will have less time off,” she said. “This has been a long semester for everyone with the shooting and everything and some students would prefer to take their exams the week before.”

Cornish said some students expressed nervousness about having a publicly scheduled final.

“They are rightfully nervous about it,” she said. Her classes will still meet next week to fulfill university requirements, but attendance will be optional.

Bill Cassidy, an assistant communications professor, said that for his writing classes, he does not usually hold a final exam.

“My philosophy for writing classes is that you have students write [as opposed to testing them],” he said. Cassidy said that not all professors would agree with his philosophy.

“Obviously, this has been a unique semester,” he said. Cassidy added that he had further incentives to have a flexible final assignment after his fellow faculty members experienced problems surrounding the December campus threat.

Other instructors and professors have come up with an alternative method for final exams.

Mike Torres, a senior marketing major, said that many of his classes have online exams. He was happy to be done with the semester.