NIU’s Relay for Life joins Convo Center in fight against cancer

By LEE BLANK

Twelve hours on the track against cancer was the goal of Friday’s Relay for Life at NIU.

Students and members of the NIU community gathered in the Convocation Center for the walk/run to celebrate cancer survivors, remember those who lost their lives to cancer and help find a cure.

“I’m a seasoned veteran,” said Phoebe Blaustein, a member of Alpha Phi Omega, one of the 92 teams gathered to participate in the event. “This is my third Relay for Life.”

This year’s event was the first time the Convocation Center hosted the relay. Blake Horras, event chair of this year’s NIU Relay for Life steering committee, said the event moved from its traditional home at the Campus Recreation Center so participants would have more space.

“We were afraid we wouldn’t have enough [at the Recreation Center],” he said. “It’s mostly the same, but moved to the Convocation Center; people are just getting into the flow of it.

“We are really impressed with the students who came together after the events of the last few months,” he said. Horras also said he was impressed with the amount of money raised for the American Cancer Society. “More people should get involved next year.”

Horras said he first became involved with Relay for Life in his hometown of Byron and continued with his involvement on campus by joining Colleges Against Cancer.

The event had the theme of “Follow the Cancer-Free Road,” and featured Carla and Angie Huber singing the song “For Good” from the musical “Wicked.” Themed laps throughout the night included “Guys Dress Like Girls,” “Bring Back the ‘70s” and “Somewhere over the Rainbow.”

Activities at the relay included performances by Inspector Owl, Tin Pan Alley and hypnotist Paul Knight. Fundraising activities, such as a silent auction and a root beer pong tournament, continued throughout the night. Students also brought flying discs and bags sets to help them stay awake throughout the night.

NIU football coach and cancer survivor Jerry Kill spoke early in the night. Kill said his experience with cancer changed his life and made him realize how much he had to live for.

Relay for Life was founded in 1985 by colorectal surgeon Dr. Gordy Klatt, who raised $27,000 for his 24-hour walk/run around a Tacoma, Wash., track.

Opportunities are available to support Relay for Life such as being a team captain, a participant, a sponsor volunteer or a donor.