Five Minutes with pitcher/first baseman Dave Reynolds

By DERRICK SMITH

Dave Reynolds is committed to double duty on the baseball field.

The sophomore splits his time between first base and pitching, and still has to worry about stepping up to the plate. Reynolds is third on the team with a .317 batting average, 22 RBIs and three home runs.

From the mound, Reynolds has a 3-0 record and a 3.00 ERA in 15 innings pitched.

The Northern Star caught up with the Orland Park native to discuss topics ranging from his position balancing act to dugout chatter.

Northern Star: How do you juggle being a pitcher and a first baseman? Is it difficult?

Dave Reynolds: It’s not hard. I get my work done in the field first and then move on to hitting. Then I go to the bullpen to get some pitching in. Getting it all done is what matters.

NS: Did you do that in high school?

DR: I was mainly a position player in high school, but in my senior year, my coach put me in at pitcher and I did well. Then he tried me at first base and put me at pitcher again. I played the field when I wasn’t pitching.

NS: What is your major?

DR: Corporate communications.

NS: Do you plan to go into the business world or try out pro ball?

DR: Being a pro player has always been my dream since I was a kid, but I’ve got to be realistic with myself. I’ll probably do something with business.

NS: Who are your best friends on the team?

DR: Brian Smith, Tim Kamin and Dan Atkenson. I knew Tim from high school. They took me underneath their wings and I’ve always looked up to them. We became close friends in this last year or so.

NS: Who’s the funniest person on the team?

DR: Kamin. He always comes up with random things that he says and does. He’s really random and he always makes fun of people.

NS: What’s the best prank played on you so far?

DR: At the airport, someone took my airport pass out of my back pocket and I started freaking out. I wasn’t too happy about that.

NS: What are the conversations like in the dugout during a boring game?

DR: I don’t know if I can say that in the paper. Let’s just say we make fun of people mostly.