Hemphill withdraws from running for position at Penn State to stay at NIU

By HERMINIA IRIZARRY

Brian Hemphill, vice president for Student Affairs, will stay at NIU.

After being named one of three finalists for a similar position at Penn State, Hemphill withdrew from the running.

“In having a conversation with President John Peters as well as Provost Ray Alden, it became evident to me that NIU is the place that I belong,” he said.

Hemphill said his decision to stay was also influenced by his peers: a committed faculty, a passionate staff and students who are second to none.

“As I really reflected on the opportunity there, I will say that Feb. 14 was a huge factor for me in terms of making the decision,” Hemphill said. “We are still a community in the midst of healing. It was extremely challenging to become excited about possibly becoming the next vice president at Penn State.”

After being contacted by Penn State to consider applying for the position in December, Hemphill was originally scheduled to fly out for an interview Feb. 18. In light of tragedy, Hemphill canceled the interview and agreed to a video conference at a later date. Hemphill was informed of being a finalist in early March.

“I would have been sad to see him go,” said Kelly Wesener, executive director of Housing and Dining. “Dr. Hemphill provides great leadership in the office of Student Affairs. [His] leadership provides a pivotal role in moving together forward.”

After withdrawing, Hemphill is eager to continue his work at NIU.

“I am excited to be here, where I am going into my fifth year as vice president for Student Affairs,” Hemphill said.