Football player rises in midst of tragedy to help a fellow student

By ANDREW HANSEN

Tim Mayerbock was having a usual Thursday afternoon.

Mayerbock, an offensive lineman for the Huskies, was walking to his 3:30 p.m. psychology class using his regular route on campus.

He passed Cole Hall and heard a blast. Mayerbock didn’t immediately recognize the sound, saying it was hard to put in context.

People poured out of Cole Hall and Mayerbock heard more blasts. The sound was suddenly put into context: gunshots.

“From hunting, I know the sound of a shotgun,” Mayerbock said. “I didn’t think someone was in class shooting.”

Students continued running out the door and the blasts continued. Mayerbock looked in the window and saw the shooter.

Troy Chamberlain, a student in the lecture hall, fell out of the door and onto the floor. Mayerbock let his instincts take over.

“I felt able to think and reason,” Mayerbock said. “I couldn’t leave him hobbling.”

The offensive lineman picked up Chamberlain and ran to DuSable with a group of students.

Inside DuSable, Mayerbock called an ambulance but was told that an ambulance wouldn’t be able to come for 15 to 20 minutes. Chamberlain wasn’t bleeding badly, but had buckshot in his leg and needed medical attention.

Mayerbock called his parents and only had a simple message: “I’m OK, call you later.”

Along with five other students, Mayerbock comforted Chamberlain. When the ambulance came, the redshirt sophomore rode with Chamberlain to the hospital and stayed around to make sure he was all right.

Mayerbock says the situation hasn’t changed him much. If anything, it’s been positive for him.

“If it’s changed anything, it’s my love for the school,” Mayerbock said. “I’m proud to go here.”

Mayerbock has received thanks from Chamberlain and his family and said his parents couldn’t be more proud.

In hindsight, Mayerbock does have some regret, though.

“It makes it frustrating,” the offensive lineman said. “I would’ve wanted to help out more.”

Despite the events, Mayerbock doesn’t see himself as a hero, simply a student helping another student.

“Anyone in the situation would’ve done the same,” Mayerbock said.