Hundreds of people fill MLK Commons for moment of silence

By HERMINIA IRIZARRY

Hundreds of people walked in one direction, bringing the once desolate NIU campus back to life.

Snow sprinkled the many students, faculty and other mourners as they filled the King Memorial Commons for five minutes of silence to remember the lives of students lost in the Feb. 14 shooting.

Justin Kuryliw, a sophomore business major, believes the large turnout is a positive foreshadowing.

“I think it’s a positive sign that people are coming back,” Kuryliw said. “It’s really uplifting. We are all one.”

Shortly after 3 p.m., President Peters approached the podium to speak before the silence.

“It has been just one week,” said President Peters on Thursday. “Just one week since we lost five vibrant young people.”

People listened quietly as Peters’ voice echoed through the MLK Commons.

“We are alone in our thoughts but we listen together,” Peters said. “Listen to the bells, listen to the silence, listen to the peace, listen to the remembrance and healing yet to come.”

At approximately 3:06 p.m., the crowd bowed their heads for five minutes as bells tolled in the distance. Over the heads of silenced mourners, a red NIU Huskies flag waved among the crowd.

“We’re a family,” said Helene Duda, senior health education major. “We are one Huskie family, period.”

Following the ceremony, five red balloons were released and many in the Commons turned and watched as the balloons faded away in the distance.