Black History Month is celebrated through art

By LEE BLANK

Black History Month is celebrated through art in the Holmes Student Center.

In its 30th year on campus, this year’s Black Student Art Show, “Freeing the African Mind: Images of Blackness in the Civil Rights Movement, a Dedication to Dr. Asa Hillard and Dr. Barbara Sizemore,” is taking place all February at the Holmes Student Center Art Gallery.

“The Black Student Art Show was started to allow young artists to display works which depict cultural heritage and celebrate Black Heritage Month,” said Van Amos, program coordinator at the Center for Black Studies.

The 11 portraits featured in the show include depictions of W.E.B. DuBois, Malcom X, the Black Power sign and a grandmother and child at graduation.

“[The show] reflects blackness in a positive aspect. People look at blackness as something that’s bad, and I want to express the resilience, empowerment and expression associated with black people.” said Nakia Amos, Center for Black Studies graduate assistant and curator for the exhibit.

She is also one of two artists currently featured in the show. She said the exhibit is open to other students’ submissions.

The art show is dedicated to two historic black educators. Sizemore was the first black woman to head a major metropolitan school district, chosen in 1973 to head the Washington, D.C. school district.

The other, Hillard, was an award-winning and world-renowned Pan-Africanist educator, historian and psychologist who authored more than a thousand publications during his life.