Performance brings students of all cultures, backgrounds together

By LINDSEY KASTNING

The United Colors of NIU brought together students of all cultures and backgrounds to strut their stuff and perform a show filled with everything from cultural dancing to soothing guitar playing.

Although the Friday night show at the Duke Ellington Ballroom got off to a late start due to technical difficulties, the audience witnessed 18 performances that promoted diversity as much as they entertained.

“We’re all here for fun and to see all the talent that NIU has to offer,” undecided student Christian Dorantes said.

Much of the night was dedicated to music and dance. The first act on stage included an all-male a cappella trio performing the national anthem. They were followed by a dance performed by members of the Asian American Association, the Student Association and the Organization of Latino American Students.

Also performing were members of Kappa Phi Lambda, Alpha Phi Gamma, Chi Sigma Tau and Kappa Pi Beta. NIU alumnus Jimmy Moon returned to perform a ballad on his acoustic guitar.

“I’ve performed here once before, and I’m excited to be back again,” Moon said. “I just love music and being able to perform.”

To mix things up a bit, performer Melissa Cline offered a spoken word piece, while Nimit Shah and Harman Mangat offered a poem and dance that included break dancing and glow sticks. Student Mona Farraj also gave the variety show a unique touch with a heart wrenching poem and video about the Palestinian and Israeli conflict that left the audience silent after its conclusion.

The most anticipated performance of the show was the dance performance by the Animation Dance Troupe, which amazed the crowd with its complex and creative moves.