Virginia Tech students reach out to NIU students via Facebook

By CAITLIN MULLEN

Though NIU has received support from people worldwide, one group can relate to the Feb. 14 tragedy more than any other: the Virginia Tech community.

They endured the largest school shooting in history almost one year ago. On April 16, 32 people were killed by a gunman on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.

The day after the shooting in Cole Hall, I received a Facebook message from Thomas Devine, a VT student, who offered his condolences and support. The support via Facebook message was a unique way VT students could connect with NIU students.

“All across Hokie nation, students are choosing random members of NIU and are reaching out,” Devine said. “I want you to know that you, your friends and everyone linked to the university are in my thoughts and prayers.”

Intrigued by Devine’s message, I asked for more information about this idea of VT students contacting NIU students. Devine directed me to Ken Stanton, another VT student and a co-creator of the Facebook group “Hokies for Huskies, Pray for Northern Illinois.”

Stanton’s idea for the random support messages came to him because VT received strong support last April.

“My girlfriend, Alyson Boyce, and myself started suggesting that people send random messages early on when everything started [that Thursday]. Why? We remember getting the same when everything happened here at VT and how much of a difference it made.”

Stanton’s words exemplify the powerful support NIU has received from people all over the world:

“You want to know about the relationship between NIU and VT? We are the same. We all are seeking higher education and are proud of our school.

“Honestly, it felt like it happened right here on our campus again. I wish we were closer together, because I know that all 28,000 plus of us would show up at your front gate.

“Since that doesn’t work, we’re doing our best to send our support via the digital gateway.

“With what happened at your school, so many Hokies feel as though they could express their gratitude, and in a way that can benefit so many.”

The kindness and compassion expressed by members of the VT community in the immediate aftermath of the shooting and beyond has showed members of the NIU community the good side of humanity, after seeing the worst.

Devine’s words echo the same sentiments: “Please be strong and don’t hesitate to lean on VT,” he said, “across Blacksburg, Va., everyone is wearing red and black.”

On the Web site for student group Hokies United, the support for NIU is strong.

“The NIU tragedy brought somber memories to the minds of Hokies everywhere, they also recalled the tremendous support that Virginia Tech received after the April 16 tragedy. Today, Hokies United members resolved to show NIU the same resounding assistance that the world showed them last spring.”

Efforts to aid the Huskie community in the wake of the shooting ranged from vigils and wearing Huskie colors to gathering items for care packages for members of the NIU community.