Students enjoy the rare and unexpected snow day

By HERMINIA IRIZARRY

NIU students and DeKalb residents awoke to a flurry of snow pouring down on the DeKalb area, resulting in a full university closure Wednesday.

Referencing a Dec 4, 2006 Northern Star article, Wednesday’s closure due to extreme weather has only been the third in the last 12 years.

Emily Anderson, a sophomore special education major, enjoyed her day off.

“It was a nice surprise this morning,” Anderson said. “My sister ran into my room and jumped on my bed and yelled ‘Snow day!'” Sophomore business major Elaine Goodwin shared similar sentiments.

“It’s definitely better to wake up and not go to class,” Goodwin said. “It’s sweet that it’s in the middle of the week because it’s a nice day off.”

Junior sociology major Sara Deegan hopes to have more snow days in the near future. Unfortunately, NIU meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste said another snow day this week is not likely.

Sebenste said the high winds were expected to die down by early this morning. Today, he expects cloudy skies with snow flurries but no major accumulations.

“Starting later this week, we’ll start getting a quieter weather pattern,” Sebenste said. “Instead of heavy snow, we should see flurries on or off through Saturday.”

Deegan’s hopes for another snow day may not be entirely unrealistic as Sebenste expects more snow fall later next week. However, it is too early to tell how much, he said.

“Enjoy it while it lasts,” Sebenste said. “It will be spring soon.”