Northern’s views heard

By RYAN STRONG

Northern View Community residents met with university representatives Thursday to express their concerns.

The meeting, which the press was excluded from, was held in the Stevenson Towers Multipurpose Room and lasted from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The crowd of roughly 30 to 40 residents was transported from the Northern View complex to Stevenson for the meeting by shuttle.

Some residents walked into the large room with an open mind; some said they did not completely understand what the meeting was attempting to accomplish.

“I’m curious to see what they are going to talk about,” said junior psychology major Jasmine Mack just before the meeting began.

Several residents left early and said they felt their concerns were not addressed.

“They are not compensating us for our inconveniences and now we are forced to stay in these living conditions,” said senior criminology major Joy Jeffries.

Other students expressed the same viewpoint.

“This was a waste of my time,” said Alyease Jones, a senior political science major. “I want to take legal action.”

Although several students said they were frustrated with the meeting, one student felt after the meeting that her concerns were addressed.

“Overall, it was a productive meeting,” said Kara Strong, a junior communication disorders major, who on Wednesday said she was upset with the ongoing construction.

Dr. Brian Hemphill, vice president of student affairs, said he is working to help every Northern View resident.

“We have taken detailed lengths to address every concern that residents may have,” Hemphill said.

Dr. Kelly Wesener, the executive director of housing and dining, expressed the same sentiments as Hemphill.

“We are actively working to assist any and every resident in need,” Wesener said.

Hemphill said the complex is expected to be completed within the first week of October. By the end of September, Hemphill estimates that the community center will be done.

Strong remained optimistic through the ordeal.

“The meeting was fine, I just hope that they make good on their promises,” Strong said.

Editor’s note: Day Editor Ryan Strong is not related to source Kara Strong.