Freshmen adjust to college experience

By Laura Melone

For freshmen, starting college is the beginning of much more than a new academic career.

Students experiencing an environment of unlimited freedom for the first time often find themselves quickly overwhelmed, whether it be the result of difficult classes, homesickness or an overindulgence in readily available addictive substances.

“Homesickness is a difficult issue,” said Richard Long, psychologist for the Counseling and Student Development Center. “It often reflects the quality of attachment a person feels with their home and family.”

Though adjusting to college life can be difficult at first, involvement on campus can be a great help in helping one acclimate to the campus scene, Long said.

“It takes a while to fall into place and get your feet under you. It takes time,” he said. “Do certain things to make the university seem smaller. Get to know people, both in and out of classes. Become involved in at least one organization. View college as an opportunity to broaden your ability to relate to the world.”

For students who find themselves falling into a state of depression, those closest to them can prove to be the best to confide in, Long said.

“Just one good friend can make all the difference in the world,” he said. “[Students can] talk with someone they know, trust and have a relationship with. That’s the way it should be. If, after these sources, the feelings continue, it might be time to talk to a professional counselor. We’re trained listeners.”

For some freshmen, college life can provide quite a shock, as freshman nursing major Courtney Rowland has discovered.

“Walking down the hallway in a towel with a million people around you, that’s definitely a big change,” she said.