Student senate minus the students

By Lee Blank

DeKALB | Sixty-five percent of NIU students do not possess a favorable opinion of the NIU student government, according to a poll conducted by the Student Association Public Affairs committee.

According to the poll, made available to the Northern Star by SAPA committee vice-chair Senator Joe Porter, 56 percent of students surveyed said they “knew little” and 15 percent said they “knew some” about the SA.

In Porter’s eyes, there’s no doubt at whom the finger should be pointed.

“We have no one to blame but ourselves,” he said.

Porter cited “self-promoting legislation” for presenting students with a negative impression of the SA.

“Because we’re not meeting their needs, they see that and don’t think we do anything,” Porter said.

Attendance for recent SA meetings has featured mostly only students involved with the student government and members of student organizations seeking official recognition. Six senators were not present at the final SA meeting, and three were ejected from the association during this semester due to attendance issues.

New SA President Jarvis Purnell, who was sworn into office Friday, is proposing ideas to change the student body’s perception of the SA. Both Purnell and Sen. Josh Alvarado are in favor of creating a new SA publication in place of “The Voice,” the online magazine that ceased production May 2006. Alvarado favors creating a new publication that would serve to better inform students of the SA.