Greek follow-up | Q&A with Chris Regan, IFC President

By Justin Smith

The Northern Star sat down with Interfraternity Council President Chris Regan to discuss changes the Greek community plans to enact next semester.

Recruitment numbers for Greek organizations are down. Are you worried about this trend?

The IFC Executive Board has been committed to changing the quality of our membership. We’re not worried about the mass numbers, we’re looking to expose ourselves to the most amount of individuals so chapters can choose the most quality members of the student body.

How have you changed recruitment procedures?

We’ve taken the traditional means of recruitment and thrown them out the window. We’re now moving toward values-based recruiting. We want to focus more on quality than quantity in terms of members. We’re using a company, Phired Up, that’s come in and they help us select the most desirable members based on their values.

How will this curtail problems in the future?

We’re anticipating that this will have a major impact. Lots of people are joining our organizations for the right reasons now. It’s a better fit for the chapters and the members. We knew there was a call for change. Chapters have learned to take responsibility and accountability for their actions. Chapters have cut dead weight – the individuals that are susceptible to act outside of the scope of our values.

How are you dealing internally with individuals who might cause problems?

The IFC established a Judicial Board at the mid-point of this semester, based on the principle of self-governance. Without speculating on other chapters’ actions, the IFC has made the commitment to stand for values. Those acting outside our values will be referred to the judicial board. Punishments can range from fines, community service and recommendation of removal. This is the first semester in over a decade that we haven’t had any incidents.

What’s the hardest part of enforcing these policies?

The toughest part is that first weekend. We have so many students that come here and want to explore the stereotypes of college life that the media portrays to them. There won’t be any sanctioned social events the first weekend.

How do you manage a poor stereotype of the Greek Row area?

It’s difficult to control our stereotype and in the past, it’s been our fault. We’ve provided that medium. But that’s why we’ve switched to values-based recruitment – so we have people joining for the right reasons, not just because of what they see in the movies.