SA speaker race down to one after Funfsinn’s withdrawal

By Lee Blank

DeKALB | Aaron Funfsinn withdrew his nomination for Speaker of the Student Association Senate Monday, citing that “it would be numerically impossible” to be elected to the position. Funfsinn’s withdrawal leaves the position with a single candidate, incumbent Robert Batey.

Senator Josh Alvarado, the only other person nominated to the speaker position, declined the nomination on the basis of allowing others the opportunity to hold the position. Alvarado said he was surprised at Funfsinn’s withdrawal, but reiterated that the remaining candidate was qualified for the position.

“Hopefully, we will have an interesting race for speaker, but you never know,” Alvarado said.

In a letter sent to the Northern Star and Speaker Batey, Funfsinn thanked those that nominated him, saying they are all equally as qualified and competent as any great speaker.

“I’m sorry he withdrew,” said Senator Brett Kryska, who nominated Funfsinn. “I thought he was [capable], but he did what he thought was necessary for the good of the Senate.”

Kryska thought someone else should run for the position, and said he would be willing to nominate another candidate.

“I’m open to listening to others ideas. If I thought someone could make a compelling case to be elected, I would,” Kryska said.

Incumbent response

“The other candidate had to make the best decision for himself,” Batey said.

Batey said he would approach the nomination Sunday in the same fashion, whether or not he is opposed. He would have liked having competition, and thought it would have inspired more debate in the Senate, he said.

Batey is delaying a decision whether to run for a Senate seat in the fall. He previously served as a senator in the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 sessions, and was appointed to the speaker position last spring. However, in his fall 2006 Senate campaign, Batey only received 81 votes, failing to win a Senate seat. At the first Senate meeting, Batey unofficially asked the Senate whether it was appropriate for him to retain his position as speaker. The Senate unofficially chose to retain him.

By holding the speaker position alone, he would not have interests vested in a single district, and would be a more neutral leader, Batey said.

“I think that decision can wait,” he said. “Not being a member of any district allows me to represent more students, and to help everyone by not being limited to representing one district.”

The SA Senate speaker may also run for or be appointed to a Senate seat, which would grant full voting rights to the speaker. Currently, a holder of the speaker position may only vote in the case of a tie.

Speaker election

Sunday night’s Senate meeting will resume nominations, wherein an SA senator may nominate any NIU student as candidate for speaker. Following nominations, each candidate will be allotted five minutes to speak and will be questioned by the Senate. Candidates will be escorted out of the room, after which the Senate will discuss the candidates and vote by roll call upon the next speaker. Afterward, candidates will be escorted back into the chamber and notified of the winning candidate.

The SA Senate will hold its final meeting of the semester Sunday at 6 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Sky Room.