NIU students spread fashion

By Herminia Irizarry

Courts 7 and 8 at the Campus Recreation Center will be transformed into a fashion expose, showcasing student-run and student-created clothing lines tonight at 8 p.m.

Kyle McGhee, a junior textile apparel and merchandising major, heads the second annual fashion show, The Elements of Fashion, with his company Street Knowledge Design Group.

McGhee’s first show last year, Let’s Get Dressed, was, in his mind, a huge success. But this year, he wants to take his company and the show in a different direction.

“Last year I did a lot of clothes based on how I was thinking at a particular point in time. The designs were very conscious of the community,” McGhee said. “It showed that we all go through the same kind of struggles. But by taking that approach it seemed like I was angry with my clothes, so this year I redeveloped my strategy and retitled my clothing line. Last year was ‘Urban,’ this year is ‘High Urban.’ “

McGhee’s designs express a uniquely urban style that ranges from altered shirts and shorts donning the company’s signature turtle logo to punk chic or dressy casual.

“I incorporate the likes and dislikes by choosing to look into the future of my company and design patterns, and I make sure that every day my lifestyle reflects my design style,” McGhee said. “I do not fall prey to analyzing the fashion community and looking at fads. [I] develop my final product as a well as possible, [and] do my best to be innovative.”

People who work with McGhee agree in regard to the integrity and uniqueness of the line.

“It’s something different, something original,” said Raquel Wells, senior family and individual development major.

McGhee’s passion for fashion dates back to his high school years when he began selling self-designed novelty T-shirts out of his locker.

“It was the need to be original,” he said. “I was tired of wearing everybody else’s clothes. I liked to see the way I thought about clothes on someone else. After I did my first few shirts, people loved them so much they didn’t let me stop.”

McGhee bases his company’s motto around the importance of education.

“Street Knowledge, the company, is derived upon real education, in the sense that you have the streets in which you come from as an individual and then your book knowledge,” says McGhee. “At some point they have to cross roads in order to make you who you are in society.

“My clothing line reflects that because my [it] gives the street edge and the same edge in fashion that will let you be free to go to a club in a shirt or wear it in an every day sense.”

Other student-created clothing lines that will be featured at the show include Chii Clothing, Edward Ark, Thief Clothing and Clothing by Ramona Connor.