College of Business ranks 65th in the nation

By Ryan Strong

NIU’s College of Business has been ranked the 65th best undergraduate business school in the nation by BusinessWeek magazine.

The magazine considered performance, student surveys and companies that recruit at colleges nationwide to create a list of the top business schools.

Students agree with NIU’s ranking among the nation’s elite business schools.

“I feel it’s very accurate,” said graduate accountancy student John Bradley.

Sunpreet Grewal has also been satisfied with her experience at the business school.

“NIU is really making an effort to give students real-world knowledge,” Grewal said.

The junior accountancy major said she feels comfortable going into a career upon graduating because of the preparation provided her by the College of Business, she said.

“I’m really proud of this school,” she said. “I’m not going to panic when I get a job.”

Grewal’s sentiments were shared by other students.

“We don’t get busywork; everything is very useful,” said Julie Kotalik, a junior organizational management major.

Kotalik agreed that the College of Business successfully prepares students for corporate careers.

“They are getting us ready for the business world,” she said.

Furthermore, Kotalik said she felt the ranking would attract more students to NIU.

“Since we’re ranked higher, more students are going to want to come to NIU,” Kotalik said. “It makes us look better to employers.”

Despite the school’s accolades, some students would still like to see the college adopt smaller classroom environments.

“I wish there were smaller classes and more individual attention,” Kotalik said.

Nevertheless, Kotalik remains optimistic of the school’s future.

“Hopefully, we can be in the single digits someday,” she said.