Storytellers Theatre starts 10th season this Thursday

By Herminia Irizarry

Thursday through Sunday, the Stevens Building Corner Theater will host a myriad of folk, fairy, ghost and personal tales as told by NIU theater majors and minors.

Directed by Patricia Ridge, professor in the School of Theatre and Dance, the 10th annual Storytellers Theatre promises personal stories ranging from comedic to more serious past experiences.

“It’s a showcase for theater studies majors,” Ridge said. “They work all semester preparing a whole variety of stories to tell.”

Ridge is a professional storyteller herself and believes that it is an important art for actors to learn, which is why she teaches the storytelling class on campus.

“[Dr. Ridge] considers it valuable for actors to be able to storytell,” said Joel Huff, Ridge’s graduate assistant and third-year graduate student in theater performance. “She teaches the difference between storytelling and acting.”

Rather than simply retell popular folklore, students are required to reach into their own personal histories for inspiration.

“You get to hear about people’s lives that are in [the production],” said Huff. “Instead of repeating the same stories every year by other authors, these are stories told by the students – the same people who created them.”

Final performances by graduating seniors, “Stinky Ralph” and “Mary Holland,” will highlight the Thursday and Sunday performances.

To Ridge, storytelling is an empowering art and believes it’s importance lies beyond the traditional entertainment value.

“It’s a way for people to connect heart to heart with the audience,” said Ridge. “Especially in these dangerous and difficult times. Storytelling can be a safe haven for these times as it tell us about our past, present and looks to our future.”

According to a press release, this is the last time the Storytellers Theater will be performed during a spring semester. Dr. Ridge’s storytelling class – and consequently the Storytellers Theatre – will be moved to the fall.

Tickets for the performances are $5 and available at the door. The weekday and Saturday performances begin at 7:30 p.m. and the Sunday performance begins at 2:00 p.m.