NIU pauses to remember

By Carlene Eck

DeKALB | For one hour Monday night students removed their earbuds, turned off their iPods and silenced their cell phones.

About 100 students gathered in the King Memorial Commons to participate in an hour of silence in tribute to the victims and families of victims of the Virginia Tech massacre.

A candle burned for each victim, including the gunman, Cho Seung-Hui. The candles were set in the center of the MLK Commons to form the letters “VT.”

Before the ceremony began at 9 p.m., Thomas Graff, Alpha Phi Omega member and coordinator of the event, thanked those who came to pay their respects.

“Today was Virginia Tech’s first day of classes [since the tragedy],” Graff said.

During the hour, participants and passersby were asked to sign banners provided by Active Minds and by APO.

Halfway through the hour, a bagpiper stood to play “Amazing Grace.” Gradually, participants came together to hold hands and form a circle surrounding the candles. Each participant was offered a black ribbon pin to place on their clothing.

The emotions of the participants were evident as students embraced each other upon arrival and before departing.

“This was extremely powerful,” Graff said. “It is really amazing that so many people showed up. I’m glad to see NIU is such a strong community.”

Students passing through the MLK Commons showed their respect by remaining silent.

At the end of the hour, the name of each Virginia Tech student killed was read aloud before each candle was blown out.