‘Street Knowledge’ on display at NIU

By Herminia Irizarry

DeKALB | Friday night, about 600 people filled the Campus Recreation Center’s courts 7 and 8. No, they weren’t there to play basketball; they were there to see the latest up-and-coming and student-designed fashions.

Presented by Street Knowledge Design Group, five designers – Street Knowledge Designs, Chii Clothing, Clothing by Ramona Connor, Thief Clothing and Edward Ark – showcased their latest Spring lines at this year’s show, “The Elements of Fashion.”

Alicia Russell and Chiquita Lindsey came to the show not only to support friends who were modeling for the show, but to see new styles and fashion trends.

“I’m interested to see what they’re doing with the fashion show,” said Russell, a freshman nursing major.

Lindsey, a freshman family social services major, said, “I’m hoping to see something different – something besides everyday fashion.”

Due to technical problems, the show began fashionably late – an hour after the scheduled 7 p.m. start time.

“It started late due to the weather transition from outdoor to indoor,” said Kyle McGhee, creator of the show and head designer of Street Knowledge Designs. “We [originally] planned to be outside.”

Opening the show, shirtless rapper Xtreme took the stage in an effort to get the crowd energized.

After performing three songs, Xtreme left the stage and the Elements of Fashion show began.

The lights dimmed and the crowd roared as the models took the stage dressed in all-white, exemplifying a sexy, dressy-casual-chic look.

Street Knowledge Designs was the featured company, having three full scenes dedicated to each of its individual lines, which were inspired by the company’s turtle logo.

“It shows creativity and expression. [Kyle’s] on the right track,” said Rodney McGhee, 60, of Chicago. “In my rightful age, I wear his designs.”

Rather than models simply strutting down the runway, each pair of models acted out skits as they passed the pair before them. Acting out scenes from everyday life, something as simple as a guy checking out another girl, illustrated the everyday versatility of the fashion show and kept the crowd’s interest.

Courtney Johnson, sophomore human resources major, enjoyed the individual skits as well as the styles portrayed.

“I liked the setup [of the show],” Johson said. “The material and the designs were a fresh look.”

While all of the clothing lines featured embodied urban fashion, each individual line expressed unique styles and trends.

“They’re different,” said Keyona Gayles, sophomore nursing major and a model. “It’s urban. It’s a whole new style. Nothing you’ve seen in stores.”

In addition to the latest trends in fashion, many spectators appreciated the fact that the show was run entirely by students.

“It shows a lot of responsibility in that students can put things together without the help of authority,” Lindsey said.

As for the future of the fledgling Street Knowledge Designs, McGhee promises more to come.

“You should expect a fall line,” McGhee said. “A return of the turtles.”