SA pays homage to Christophe

By Lee Blank

DeKALB | The Student Association Senate began Sunday night’s meeting by honoring one of its own.

Speaker Robert Batey opened the meeting with a somber statement reflecting upon the loss of Senator Dan Christophe Jr., a junior accountancy major, who died in a motorcycle accident Tuesday.

The SA remembered Christophe, members of the local community, and the students killed at Virginia Tech with the moment of silence after Batey’s address.

At the meeting’s end, Batey handed out ribbons he personally purchased to honor the slain Virginia Tech students.

Brian Hemphill, vice president for Student Affairs, used a Powerpoint presentation to survey the university’s proposed six-year plan, which would include extensive renovations to Grant Hall and the Holmes Student Center, better-lit recreation fields and the return of Gilbert Hall for student housing. Gilbert was last used as a residence hall in 1995, and between 1997 and 2004 it housed temporary offices while Altgeld Hall was renovated.

Mock photos were shown to demonstrate the differences between existing facilities and ones administrators hope to create. The presentation also addressed parking issues for commuter students who have complained existing facilities are inadequate.

When asked how much the proposed additions would cost, Hemphill said officials would not know until consultants were hired.

State of the SA

The senate also passed legislation that would ask the SA president to present a State of Student Government address at the first spring semester senate meeting. The legislation passed unanimously with two abstentions.

Speaker nominations in

Senator Josh Alvarado turned down a nomination for SA Speaker, saying he felt others were better fit for the job.

“I thought the individuals running for this position have great ideas to make the student association better,” he said. “I want to give them a chance make those ideas a reality.”

The two current candidates for speaker are Robert Batey, current speaker, and Aaron Funfsinn, two-time SA executive candidate. Batey, who earlier in the year said he would not again run for speaker, has since reversed his decision.

“One more year – that’s what I’ve been saying to myself for the past three months,” Batey said. “I have one more year here [at NIU] and I want devote it to serving the students and the university, which has given me so much. I couldn’t forgive myself if I did not give [back] everything I had for my last year.”

Funfsinn was not present at the Sunday senate meeting.

Elections for speaker were slated for Sunday’s meeting, but in light of the Virginia Tech massacre and the loss of Christophe, the Senate agreed that it was an inappropriate week for the decision and rescheduled the election for next week’s meeting.