Revered NIU physics professor passes on after 15-month battle with cancer

By Justin Weaver

DeKALB | Courtland L. Bohn, an NIU physics professor, died Sunday, April 1. He was 53.

“This is a major loss for NIU,” NIU President John Peters said in a press release. “In his five years at NIU, Court made a significant contribution to our physics program. He will be sorely missed by colleagues and students alike.”

Bohn, who passed away following a 15-month battle with cancer, earned his master’s degree at the University of Chicago in 1977 and his Ph.D. in 1983. Bohn served in the U.S. Air Force, directing laser and accelerator programs, and won several research awards for his work as an associate professor of physics at the Air Force Academy.

Bohn was awarded NIU’s Presidential Research Professorship a year ago, an award to recognize the university’s foremost scholars. Bohn established the Beam Physics and Astrophysics Group at NIU, bringing in several million dollars in research funding.

“As good a scientist as he was, he was a better person,” said Joseph Grush, acting dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “He was a consummate gentleman, someone who had style and grace.”

Bohn was very dedicated to NIU, Grush said.

“At one time, he had a fabulous offer to leave the university and go into private industry at almost double his salary,” he said. “He came to me with the written offer, but he did not ask for anything for himself. Instead, he asked if we could do something to help his staff. That is the essence of who Court Bohn was.”

Bohn is survived by his wife of 29 years, Mary Bohn, his daughter Yolanda (Jonathan) Cook, son Jason Bohn and daughter Kimberly Bohn.

A campus memorial service will be held for Bohn from 2 to 4 p.m. Thursday in the Altgeld Hall Auditorium. A viewing will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, at Butala Funeral Home and Crematory, 1405 DeKalb Ave., in Sycamore. Private burial services will be held Thursday morning.

In lieu of flowers, a scholarship is being established to honor his memory. Contributions can be made to Northern Illinois University, Foundation Gift Planning, 1425 W. Lincoln Highway, DeKalb, IL 60115. Checks should be made payable to the NIU Foundation in memory of Courtland Bohn.