Gay Jam raises funds and awareness

By Herminia Irizarry

DeKALB | A culmination of talent, drag and raffle prizes will invade Caven Auditorium (Gabel 126) this weekend, all to raise money for a good cause.

Prism will host its 11th annual drag and variety show, the Gay Jam, Saturday to raise money for the Questioning Youth Center.

Although assuming different names throughout the years, Prism is a nonpartisan organization and has been an active group on campus since the 1970s.

“Our purpose is to foster a diverse and accepting climate on campus and provide a social outlet for Lesbian, Gay, Bi- and Transsexual students on campus,” said Kristen Scheurich, senior English major and education chair of Prism. “Our purpose is to also raise awareness and have fun while doing it.”

Scheurich also added that the key factor in the show is fun.

“It’s a chance for everyone to get together and entertain others and be entertained,” Scheurich said. “It’s a chance to show off your talent, whatever it is.”

In addition to an entertaining drag show, Scheurich promises a wide range of talents such as spoken word, belly dancing and instrumental performances.

To Scheurich, the annual Gay Jam was created as a way for the LGBT community to reach out to its members as well as those outside the community.

Now Prism also sees the show as a reward for the hard work the group and the community do during the year.

Every year Prism dedicates its time to a service project and this year all proceeds from the Gay Jam are going to the Questioning Youth Center. The group is also donating $100 to the DeKalb High School’s Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) group which, according to Scheurich, currently receives no school funding.

While the show is free, Prism encourages guests to bring money for the raffle. Tickets are $1 each, or six for $5. Prizes include free games of bowling at local alleys or meals at local restaurants.