Your SA candidates:

By Lee Blank

Treasurer Candidate

Ricky Garcia

Year: junior

Major: finance

1. Goals for the Student Association:

– Work with student organizations to promote fiscal responsibility and work with organizations that have fallen into deficit

– Provide students with a more approachable office and promote diversity throughout the SA

2. Qualifications:

– Student Association senator on the finance committee

– Vice president of finance for the Campus Activities Board

– Student representative to NIU Admissions policies and academic standards committee

– Member of the Financial Management Association

“I possess knowledge of advanced financial-related concepts.”

3. Things he wants to offer to the position:

“I can ensure the student body that the Student Association budget will be balanced and the office will be fiscally responsible. I am someone who has the experience working with large budgets through the SA finance committee and vice president of Campus Activities Board, which will in turn help me to better manage SA funds to help a wide variety of students and maximize SA funds.”

Student Trustee Candidates

Shaun Crisler

Year: graduate

Major: adult/higher education

vt1. Goals for the SA:

– Work with departments to continue to show the importance of international studies

– Work with students to increase student organizational support

– Work with students on campus security

2. Qualifications:

– Student Association president 2003-04

– SA treasurer 2002-03

– Community Adviser 2001-04

“Working with students year after year I have had the opportunity to build programs as well as relationships. These relationships have allowed me to voice an opinion on behalf of NIU students consistently.”

“Having worked with students year after year I feel that I can continue to highlight NIU programs and services that help each student. NIU is a great campus and I plan on bringing a new approach to the way NIU students see their college experience.”

Lindsey

Swanson

Year: senior

Major: political science-public law

1. Goals for the SA:

“I have two major goals that I’d like to achieve, getting student organizations appropriate funding and improving student parking. I would like to have brown pass parking beginning at 3 p.m. instead of four, so students can park for their 3 p.m. or 3:30 classes. Also, the Rec should put in a row of brown permit parking spots. I recommend putting a time-limit of an hour and a half on the spots so students will not abuse it.”

2. Qualifications:

“I’m a very personable person; I get along well with everyone and enjoy public speaking. For years I’ve been involved in organizations such as 4-H, College Democrats, NIU Pre-Law Society and Women’s Caucus; these organizations have taught me valuable team and leadership skills.”

3. Things she wants to offer to the position:

“I believe that I can be a voice for the students. As a student of NIU myself, I want to see changes around campus; I encourage my fellow students to voice their opinions to someone who will listen and relate those opinions into changes. I hope to affect policies not only for this [upcoming] year but for many years to come.”

A Student Association variation of candidate questionnaires can be found on the SA’s Web site: http://www.sa.niu.edu/elections1.html