Accountability bill vetoed

By Lee Blank

DeKALB | Controversial groups and legislation were the theme of Sunday’s Student Association meeting.

Legislation calling for more accountability on the part of executive staff again went before the SA Senate for approval.

The legislation, previously passed 14-3 with 8 abstentions, was vetoed by SA president Adam Novotney, who thought the bill was in the right direction – but had a “bass-ackwards” method – and inappropriately tied the hands of the president and the chief of staff in managing their own staff.

The bill, SAB 38027, specifically aimed at forcing executive staff members to provide bi-weekly reports directly to the speaker of the senate, was alternatively thought to be either an excessive check or a proper balance of prescribed powers.

At Sunday’s meeting, Speaker Rob Batey began his speaker report by stressing the importance of parliamentry procedure and the importance of being respectful.

The vote was 13-7 with three abstains. Since the bill did not receive two-thirds approval, Novotney’s veto was upheld.

Other sensitive legislation was considered Sunday, as Campus Advance, an organization previously up for recognition last year under the name “DeKalb Church of Christ,” was reconsidered. Due to SA policy, an organization may not be considered twice under the same name; however, they may be reconsidered under a new name.

The group appeared before the senate on Jan. 29, 2006, and was denied recognition.

“They were voted down for a number of reasons, the most prevalent of which was how they recruited members, which was considered to be too forceful,” said Batey, in recollection of last year’s decision.

The group was denied recognition again Sunday. Similarly, Campus Advance was denied by the current senate session, with numerous abstentions on the vote.

Humans vs. Zombies, the controversial student group that has sprung up at numerous universities, had its NIU chapter approved by the SA.

The NIU chapter founder and president Emily Sturnfield appeared with several other organizational members to represent the group. Sturnfield’s presentation, organization and explanation of the game impressed many senators.

However, Senator and SA Treasurer-candidate Ricky Garcia was not impressed by the group. Garcia was concerned with being hit with a Nerf gun or sock.

With a significant majority, Humans vs. Zombies was approved.

The senate also voted on an amendment to the SA bylaws allowing all funded student organizations access to Novell Groupwise so that the SA treasurer could keep them up to date on the budgeting process.