Women make up college population majority

By Ryan Strong

DeKALB | Once dominated by males, colleges across the country are seeing higher female enrollment with those females more likely to graduate.

At NIU, women make up a slightly higher percentage of the undergraduate student body, according to the school’s Web site.

A perceived shift in higher education achievement is evident at colleges across the nation. Women now make up 56 percent of the total college population, and are more likely to receive a bachelor’s or master’s degree, according to a PBS study.

Staff at NIU are starting to notice this trend.

“I tend to see more women applying [to NIU],” said Brian Pumilia, senior assistant director of the Office of Admissions..

Pumilia, who works with prospective college students daily, agreed with the study. Pumilia said female high school students seeking admission to NIU seem to be more focused and motivated.

“As an admissions counselor, I meet with more women than men,” he said.

Pumilia acknowledged there are a large amount of motivated and career-minded male students on campus, but he sees more women being proactive during the admissions process.

“[Women are] so much more organized and together,” he said.

Pumilia said the reason for this difference in gender achievement could be the result of social pressure put on young men.

“College is not always looked upon as a manly thing to do,” Pumilia said.

Some students don’t see any disparity between the genders at school.

“It’s close to about the same,” said Sean Berek-Wiren a freshman visual communications major.

But some students did notice the lack of men on campus.

“Men tend to settle and not strive for as much,” said elementary education major Shannice Berry. “I’m not surprised that there aren’t more [men in college].”

Berry said she thinks the days of gender discrimination are over and women are valued as much as men.

“People are starting to realize that women can work just as hard as men,” she said. “Women are a valuable asset in school and in the workplace.” Whether or not this gap in higher education will increase or decrease is yet to be seen. Pumilia remained optimistic toward the future of the gender gap in higher education institutions.

“Maybe, someday, it will even out,” he said.