Whatever happened to NIU’s Victory Bell?

By Carlene Eck

NIU’s Victory Bell remains in storage at the Convocation Center after being temporarily moved nearly two years ago from its original location in front of DuSable Hall.

The bell was moved to allow room for the 2004 Huskie Bus turnaround renovations in front of DuSable and is now awaiting a new home outside the Convocation Center. The new location for the bell was planned to allow better access to all sporting events after victories, as well as after graduation ceremonies.

“It will be located on the south side of the Convocation Center within the raised berm garden area and will be centered on the building and the reflecting pools,” said Tom Wroblewski, an architect at NIU Architectural and Engineering Services.

The Victory Bell was purchased in hopes of encouraging good sportsmanship by the Alpha Phi Omega fraternity with funds raised by an “Ugly Man on Campus” contest in 1958.

Members of Alpha Phi Omega today are concerned about the bell and have been awaiting its return to campus grounds.

“It was supposed to be displayed, and it was supposed to be done about a year or year and a half ago, and it still hasn’t been done,” said Ragan Barclay, an active member of Alpha Phi Omega.

Alpha Phi Omega adviser John Lehuta is equally bothered by the absence of the bell.

“It’s been languishing is the best description,” Lehuta said.

Wroblewski said the bell is being stored in a safe location while the plans for a new structure and location are underway.

Wroblewski also said the Victory Bell is anticipated to become a “major focal point first for new students as they arrive on campus, for all to enjoy during special events and athletic games, and then at the Convocation as our graduating seniors prepare to leave campus.”

However, the amount of time being taken to complete the Victory Bell project is a concern to both Lehuta and Barclay.

“I am a little disappointed that it got knocked off the hill,” Lehuta said. “People have made promises that obviously haven’t been kept.”

Barclay shares Lehuta’s frustration.

“I’m frustrated because the Victory Bell has meant so much to us. We used to ring it after every victory,” Barclay said.

“I haven’t seen the bell since it was moved from campus. It feels like it’s just not going to be done.”

Wroblewski said that while the university also wishes to see the bell back on display, finishing the project will take time.

“Completion will depend on several factors: bid and contract approvals, favorable weather conditions this fall/winter construction season and material fabrication schedules,” Wroblewski said.