Student credit card debt leads to long-term concerns

By Carlene Eck

DeKALB | A 2005 study conducted by Nellie Mae showed that of all U.S. regions, college students in the Midwest had the highest outstanding credit card balances.

The study also found that a student’s freshman year is the most common time for students to sign up for credit cards.

Many students at NIU use credit cards to purchase school supplies and basic survival utilities to get them through the semester.

“Most of the stuff I use it for is school-related,” said junior journalism major Adam Tranchida. “So having a credit card is kind of necessary.”

Students like junior English major Jill Brandt expressed anxiety about credit card debt.

“I’m actually really worried about going to grad school because of credit debt,” Brandt said.

From the winding down of the holidays, students may also experience an increase in their credit card debt. However, some students preferred to use either cash to purchase gifts or simply not purchase gifts at all.

“I’m already in debt, so I didn’t want to spend a lot of money,” said Marcus Boynton, a physical education graduate student. Boynton said he and his girlfriend set a low limit for each other to save money.

Knowing Brandt’s financial state, her family suggested she save money over the holidays.

“I don’t have a job right now, so my family told me not to buy them anything,” Brandt said.

Dr. Anne Kubal, a psychologist in the Counseling and Student Development Center, recommends students experiencing problems with high credit card debt should seek help, such as visiting Students’ Legal Assistance for financial counseling.

“It is often one of many issues students raise,” Kubal said of credit card debt.

The ease of which students can obtain credit cards can become dangerous, Kubal said.

“One of the things that credit cards will do is waive the normal benchmarks for a college student,” Kubal said.

Kubal also suggested the psychological effects credit cards have on people can be detrimental to one’s mental health.

“High credit card debt often negatively effects one’s psychological well-being because of the stress associated with being in debt,” Kubal said. “When students are struggling to begin with, credit card debt adds an extra pressure.”

Kubal also cited compulsive spending as a concern.

“It’s so easy to use [the credit card]. It’s so easy to spend mindlessly,” Kubal said. “College students will shop and use those cards to make them feel better temporarily. It can become a vicious cycle.”