BSU’s Lifeline looks to extend its reach

By Ryan Strong

The Black Student Union’s magazine can be difficult to find around campus.

Phillip Moore, editor in chief of the Lifeline, said he would like to increase the magazine’s circulation.

This year, the BSU started distributing copies of the Lifeline in DuSable Hall and Stevenson South.

The Lifeline is a monthly magazine, published by the BSU, covering a variety of topics affecting black college students. The magazine has been published on campus for more than thirty years. However, many students do not know the publication exists.

“[The magazine] is an entity of the Black Student Union and a voice for the public can hear,” said BSU facility advisor Derrick Smith.

Smith said the magazine started in the 1970s during a time of racial turmoil. The publication covered topics such as civil rights, racism and equal education.

“During the ‘70s and early ‘80s, there were more articles about racial issues,” Smith said.

Smith said the magazine was originally used as a voice for journalism students who were not published in a mainstream media outlet.

“It was a good place for journalism students to perfect their trade,” Smith said.

Today the magazine generally covers campus events, poetry and news affecting black students. However, Smith insisted the magazine is for a wider audience.

“It’s not just for the African-American students. Anyone can read it,” he said.

Smith said anyone can join or write for the magazine as well.

Although the magazine has been around for decades, some students are unaware of its publication.

“The magazine should be more widely distributed around campus,” freshman political science major Eugene Smith said.

Smith explained the magazine is not as accessible as other local publications because of funding.

“[Lifeline] can’t be massively produced because of limited resources,” he said. “I want to increase the visibility of the magazine on campus.”

The next issue of the Lifeline will be published Friday.

Ryan Strong is a City Reporter for the Northern Star.