Snow cleanup continues

By Jessica Fink

DeKALB | The NIU Grounds Department has been working to make walkways safe and passable after the massive snowfall, and some of the areas around campus have taken longer to clean up than others.

“The bottom line is after every major event like this, it will take some time before everything is completely cleared,” said staff meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste. “That’s just the nature of it.”

Sebenste said the recorded snowfall averaged about a foot deep.

“We received 3.25 inches of snow alone in the first major hour of the storm, between 7:45 and 8:45 a.m.,” he said. “That is intense.”

Measures are being taken to clear the remaining snow and ice on campus sidewalks.

“Complete snow removal usually takes a total of about seven days after a big event like we had on Friday,” said Physical Plant director Mike Saari. “High traffic areas require a bit more work, and compacted ice takes a lot longer to remove.”

Saari said a staff of about 18 was assigned clearing duties and said a variety of snow removal equipment of all types and sizes are used. Some of these include end-loaders, dump trucks, street plows, environment-friendly snow melting chemicals, snowblowers, shovels and various small types of removal equipment to use in tight places. Cleared snow is transported by dump truck to local remote locations, including one located on the far west side of campus.

“Every season we go through a cycle where they do a lot of maintenance and preparation for the winter season,” Saari said. “[Last Friday] came of no surprise to us. We were well-prepared for it, had the staff in place and experienced a pretty smooth operation.”

Some students expressed concerns over the leftover ice and snow on the walkways.

“There’s still a big ice patch on the two to three minute walkway behind Barsema I always take on my way to class,” said senior finance major Tsveta Vlaeva. “One of my friends almost slipped and fell on it the other day. It looked like she was ice skating.”

Others didn’t feel the snow or ice presented any real problems.

“I think they’ve done a good job,” said Theresa Kinniry, a secretary in the Holmes Student Center. “They had a big job to do, and while everybody else stayed in over the weekend, they were out here all day, working in the cold.”

Jessica Fink is a City Reporter for the Northern Star.