Faculty faux pas

By Lauren Stott

DeKALB | An NIU associate technology professor was released after being arrested Monday on the charge of assaulting a colleague with a metal pipe, according to Darren Mitchell, the acting chief of the University Police.

Radha Balamuralikrishna, a 44-year-old man from Aurora, posted the required 10 percent of his $5,000 bond on Tuesday afternoon, said DeKalb County Police Sgt. Krista Haberkamp.

He was arrested for striking another professor from within the technology department when the two got into an argument Monday morning in Still Hall. Neither the victim’s name nor the names of the witnesses have been released.

NIU Police Lt. Matt Kiederlen said the reason for the argument is not known, but the victim apparently said something that Balamuralikrishna did not like. A witness called 911 and Balamuralikrishna was arrested at 11 a.m. by the University Police. Mitchell said the police arrived within one minute of the 911 call because of the station’s close proximity to Still Hall. Balamuralikrishna was held at the DeKalb County Jail for three counts of aggravated assault.

“The state’s attorney’s office is looking at possibly bringing additional charges on [Balamuralikrishna],” Mitchell said.

The state’s attorney office will need more information from the victim before its decision can be made. Mitchell said Balamuralikrishna admitted involvement in a statement made to the University Police.

Cliff Mirman, the chair of the technology department, said the victim has been treated and released from Kishwaukee Community Hospital.

“He is a little sore, but he is doing okay,” Mirman said.

Mirman said the department is now taking steps to cover the classes so that no students will be affected by the incident.

“The students will still have their labs and classes and finals; they won’t be affected,” Mirman said.

However, some students will be affected. Thomas Wagher, a senior CAD major in Balamuralikrishna’s Technology 414 class, said he is signed up for several CAD classes that Balamuralikrishna was supposed to teach.

“He was really easy-going with us; he’s a really good guy to talk to if you have a problem,” Wagher said. “That’s why I was so surprised it was him.”

The university is currently trying to put Balamuralikrishna on administrative leave without pay, Mitchell said.