Student Association hears what students want

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | The Student Association created five ad hoc committees last month to investigate student needs in their districts. This is what students told them:

District 1

Students in the residence halls said after the snowstorm, their cars were buried under snow and they didn’t have shovels to dig them out. They asked if the residence hall could provide them with shovels. They also asked for more orange parking spots near the residence halls.

District 2

Students asked for more accurate roommate surveys given out in the residence halls. They also asked for a better way to give their comments and suggestions to the RHA and the SA.

District 3

Students said most of their issues had to do with the busing system. They told their representatives they were unhappy with the No. 5 route because of the snow. Students in the residence halls also asked why there was no meal plan rollover.

District 4

The representative for District 4 was not present.

District 5

Commuter and non-traditional students said they had trouble finding good parking spots on campus. They also said the commuter lounge needed better publicity because many commuter students said they did not know it existed.

The senate also discussed attendance issues. Senate Speaker Robert Batey said a committee will look at the SA Constitution over winter break and re-evaluate the rules on attendance.

The SA also voted to make committee attendance count as a whole absence rather than half of one. The SA currently counts sub-level committee meeting absences half as much as missing a full senate meeting. The bill was originally voted down but Batey called for a division of the vote. After a hand vote, the bill was approved.