CAB production holding auditions for students

By Jermaine Pigee

DeKALB | The Campus Activities Board is looking for dancers, singers, actors and Greek steppers to be a part of the NIU play called “School Daze.”

Auditions will be from 6 to 9 p.m. today and Tuesday in the Holmes Student Center, Room 503, and from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Lincoln Room, with rehearsals starting Jan. 22.

“It is not required that you be a member of a Greek letter organization in order to participate in the play; all we ask is that people are dedicated and bring their all to the audition,” said Fine Arts Coordinator Amber Martin. “The audition will consist of reciting lines from the script provided. We may ask if the person can sing or dance, and if they can, they will have to present it at that time.”

The theater department normally runs the auditions, but the CAB is running it for a number of reasons.

“This will allow those who are not majoring in drama to show off their acting skills,” Martin said. “I know there are a lot of non-drama majors that love to act but never get a chance to showcase their skills because they have no connections to the department.”

The play is about a young man trying to become a part of Greek life.

“School Daze is about a young man named Half Pint who is trying to pledge Gamma Phi Gamma, which is a popular fraternity at Mission College,” Martin said. His cousin Dap is anti-Greek because of the reputation it gives others and how it changes others.

Students are very eager to show off their talent.

“I did this play in high school and it was a lot of fun to do, so I am looking forward to doing it again,” said sophomore acting major Dyamond Moore. “I am an acting major whose passion is acting, so that will help a lot, and I am very motivated, hard-working and talented.”