Campus concerns

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | In response to recent theft and violence on campus, a forum is being held to find out how to make NIU safer.

A campus security forum will take place today in the Stevenson North multipurpose room at 6 p.m. The forum is co-sponsored by the Residence Hall Association and the Student Association.

Students are welcome to come to the forum and voice their concerns about security on campus.

Brian Hemphill, vice president of Student Affairs; Daniel Chou, RHA president; Adam Novotney, SA president; and University Police Lt. Matt Kiederlen will serve on the forum panel. Before the question-and-answer portion, they will discuss what has been happening on campus and what they are doing to address the problem.

Novotney said the forum is being held because of what went on Homecoming weekend, and because some of the things happening adjacent to campus.

“Basically, a lot of the stuff that has been on the police blotter,” Novotney said.

Novotney said the goal is to find ways to keep ourselves and each other safe. He also said the panel will give tips on how students can stay safe, like not to walk alone down dark streets late at night while listening to an iPod.

“Bring your concerns, find out what’s going on, how we’re addressing it and learn tips to keep yourself safe,” Novotney said.

Tuesday night at the Stevenson Hall Council meeting, Brian Collins, a senior general studies major, said they tried to round up as many people as possible to go to the forum.

“The more people present, the more we’ll be able to straighten things out,” Collins said.