Mock DUI crash illustrates danger

By Carlene Eck and Christopher Norman

DeKALB | Three NIU students were injured and one student was killed in a collision last night in the Convocation Center parking lot … that’s what it looked like, at least.

A mock DUI crash was held by the University Police and the DeKalb Fire Department to warn students of the dangers of drunk driving during Homecoming weekend.

“What we did was participate with the assistance of the NIU Police Department as a preparedness and send a message against drunk driving during Homecoming weekend,” said Assistant Fire Chief Scott Love.

The collision involved two cars: a black Saturn driven by the drunk driver, which T-boned another car driven by a sober driver and then flipped over. The passenger in the black car was mock-killed, while the driver, who “only drank 12 beers,” was given a field sobriety test and taken to jail.

One of the passengers in the sober car was mock-hurt, while authorities removed the other passenger by removing the roof of the car.

“I was the driver of the silver car,” said Zachary Land, a senior corporate communication major. “A lot of discomfort, a lot of glass being sprayed everywhere.”

Authorities expect “a lot of extra people in town, a lot of parties; and we’re trying to show some of the possible effects of driving while inebriated,” Love said.

While students enjoy the Homecoming festivities this weekend, Love gave some advice to students to follow.

“Behave responsibly, drink in moderation, don’t drink and drive and watch out for other folks on the road,” Love said.

University Police also said the Late Night Ride service is another option for students to use if they are drunk and looking for a free, safe ride home.