Professor makes national presenation about Gitmo Bay

By Justin Weaver

DeKALB | NIU students will have an opportunity to visit Guantanamo Bay from the comfort of their own campus.

From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. today in Altgeld Hall, Room 100, the NIU College of Law will present a “Teach-In” on Guantanamo Bay. Marc Falkoff, an assistant professor of law, will give a presentation alongside professors from other universities.

The panel discussion, which will be filmed at Seton Hall University in New Jersey, will be simulcast live to more than 200 colleges across the country.

There will be a total of seven sessions throughout the day, all focusing on different aspects of the Guantanamo Bay controversy. The issues being addressed in these various panel discussions include the role of journalism in the controversy, the work of medical professionals at the facility, religious aspects, torture and political influences.

The presentations will welcome several prominent experts to the forum. The discussions will feature journalists from a variety of publications, including reporters from The New York Times, The New Yorker, Miami Herald, Washington Post and Time magazine.

The telecast will also feature professors from NYU, Penn State, Seton Hall, University of Wisconsin and University of California. Also speaking will be William H. Taft IV, former legal adviser for the U.S. Department of State.

The day will be highlighted by the appearance of Falkoff, who will appear on the presentation, taped this morning in New Jersey. After flying back to DeKalb after his presentation is taped, he will make a live presentation to NIU students and will present “Voices from Inside the War: the Politics and Poems of Guantanamo Bay.”

Falkoff makes his live presentation at 4 p.m. in Altgeld Hall. The NIU presentation will mirror that of the Seton Hall lecture, scheduled to close out the televised program, though Falkoff will dive even further into this issue.

“On the telecast, the professor will be reading poetry from Guantanamo detainees,” said Tracey Koehler, assistant director of alumni events and public relations for the NIU College of Law. “When he speaks in person, he will discuss his personal experiences, and about his nine visits to Guantanamo Bay.”

The session is open to all students, who are welcome to attend as much or as little of the presentation as they desire.

“Students are free to come and go as they please,” Koehler said.

Justin Weaver is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.