Service ready for weekend

By Justin Weaver

DeKALB | The Late Night Ride Service will see some slight alterations to accommodate the Homecoming festivities Friday night and possibly Saturday evening as well.

Students may be directed to three different checkpoints on campus to be picked up and dropped off, depending on the traffic situation on campus.

Late Night Ride, which typically will pick up and drop off at any location on campus, will inform students upon calling whether or not they need to head to a checkpoint.

By Greek Row, the service will be picking up by Casey’s General Store on the corner of North Annie Glidden Road and West Hillcrest Drive, as well as by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 900 Normal Road.

On the west side of campus near the residence halls, students can be picked up at the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center, 231 North Annie Glidden Road.

Decreasing the density of traffic is one of the main reasons for the change, University Police said.

“There are higher expectations of a lot of foot traffic on Greek Row,” said Lt. Matthew Kiederlen, the acting chief of the UP. “Also, on the west side we’ve had issues with heavy vehicle traffic, backups on Annie Glidden Road and Lucinda Avenue, which affect other roads as well. This will help us avoid congestion issues.”

Late Night Ride provides free rides to NIU students daily from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. They can be contacted at 753-2222.