SA rejects ‘The Gorilla’

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | Lee “The Gorilla” Blank was put back in his cage during the Student Association appointments Sunday night.

Blank, who lost the SA elections last month, failed to claim one of the eight seats left vacant from the Fall election.

One of the main points Blank focused on during his speech was election reforms for both the general and executive SA elections. He said districts could be reformatted to better represent students, saying the only really competitive district was District 3. He also said it would be beneficial to lower the number of signatures needed to run for the executive positions to 200 since the election itself only garnered 410 votes. Dion Smith, a senator from District 3, asked if the only reason Blank asked for election reform was because he lost the election.

Blank’s credibility was the main topic of discussion. His choice to campaign in a gorilla costume divided the senate. Most said the costume not only negatively affected students’ opinions of him but also made a mockery of the senate. The Huskie 8, of which Blank was the only member not elected, was also sanctioned for improper flyer placement. Mike Orescanin, a senator from District 4, asked senators to look at student opinion and since they did not elect Blank the senate should not appoint him. Blank had 107 votes in district 3, while Orescanin had 70 in district 4.

Those arguing in favor of Blank said he only lost by a few votes and “if it were redistricted some senators here may not be sitting in these seats,” said Josh Alvarado, a senator from District 1.

Others defended Blank’s unique choice of marketing, saying the costume was not different from hawking handbills.

“So what if he dressed up in a gorilla suit; if he lost by three votes we should give him a little more credit,” said Olivia Nesterowicz, a senator from District 5.

The senate voted and Blank was not appointed.

Blank said he was not appointed because of “personal politics rather than professional politics.”

Mrugesh Patel was also up for appointment. Patel, like Blank, was a candidate from District 3 who lost. He also received sanction for improper flyer placement. Unlike Blank, Patel was appointed.