Internship fair presents opportunity

By Justin Weaver

DeKALB | Students seeking internships may find their golden opportunity this Wednesday.

Career Services will host an internship fair at the Convocation Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday.

A total of 65 employers will be present, all appealing to a wide array of majors and interests while offering both paid and unpaid internships.

“The purpose of the internship fair is to act as an opportunity for students to talk to businesses and look for academically-related and career-related internships and co-ops,” said employer relations specialist Diane Hart. “It gives them an opportunity to have all of these employers in one room, where students can check out different careers and find spring or summer internships.”

Students who have visited prior internship fairs will find their options slightly expanded this year.

“It has increased somewhat,” Hart said of the diversity among different career types available at the fair. “We will have more engineering, communications and social service-related opportunities available, as well as management, accounting and marketing.”

Some students, particularly students with English-related majors, say the fair is of no relevance to them because there are no related businesses in attendance.

Hart still implores students to attend and see where certain internships could take them.

“There are not many companies that have directly asked us for English-related majors,” Hart said. “Students should come to the fair and look around at businesses, and talk to a company that they have an interest in. If companies are impressed enough when speaking with a student, they may find a way to incorporate them into an internship. Students may find a way to utilize it.”

There will be a shuttle bus running between the fair at the Convocation Center and the Holmes Student Center. Students can also visit the Career Services office in the Campus Life Building, Room 220 for more information about internships.

Justin Weaver is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.