Rocking the vote

By Christopher Norman

DeKALB | The Student Association Senate fall election begins today.

The polls open at 9 a.m. and will close at 6 p.m. today and Wednesday. They will be open for two days to give students who are not on campus everyday the chance to vote.

Polling stations are in front of the Dugout in DuSable Hall, the entrance of the Founders Memorial Library and inside the Holmes Student Center next to the bus turnaround.

There are 40 senate seats up for grabs. Fifteen candidates chose to run in political parties: The Student Rep Party, The Huskie 8 and Students for Change. After the election, any seats not filled in the election will be appointed by senate vote.

Student turnout for the elections has been historically low, rarely passing four percent in recent years. The Spring 2006 executive election had 410 votes, fewer than two percent of the student body.

Students should know the SA is responsible for governing organizations, distributing student fees and operating the Huskie Bus Lines. Most recently, the senate passed a resolution to oppose the 50 cent draft increase and took their argument to the DeKalb City Council.

During the election, candidates cannot campaign within classrooms during regular classroom hours, or in NIU classroom buildings if it disrupts classroom schedules. Candidates may not campaign in the library, either.

When voting, students should remember they can select up to eight candidates. Voting for more than eight will render the ballot invalid.

Election results will be posted after 6:00 p.m. Friday in the window of the Student Association office in the Campus Life Building.

Christopher Norman is the Student Association Beat Reporter for the Northern Star.