Questionable books safe in NIU libraries

By Justin Weaver

DeKALB | One campus organization is fighting for free speech this week.

The American Library Association has declared this week “Banned Book Week,” underscoring the initiative to “celebrate the freedom to read.”

In honor of this event, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resources has encouraged students to read by holding daily drawings. Winners will receive a free LGBT-themed book of their choosing from the available selection, which was donated by Borders and Barnes & Noble bookstores.

Two winners are selected each day. Students can enter into the drawing at the LGBT office, located on the seventh floor of the Holmes Student Center.

“We’re celebrating that we still have LGBT material available,” said Patricia Liberty-Baczek, office assistant at the LGBT Resource Center.

Though not all of the donated books have been previously banned in certain schools and libraries, many books containing “objectionable” material, often LGBT-related source material in particular, occasionally are banned.

“I believe that LGBT books should not be banned because they allow people to read them, figure out their emotions and determine who they really are,” said freshman pre-computer science major Mack Lewis, who selected the E. Lynn Harris novel “Invisible Life,” which he won at a recent drawing. “It helps them to feel better about themselves.”

Liberty-Baczek believes banning books infringes on freedom of speech.

“We should encourage reading on a variety of subjects, and then enjoy discussing it,” she said. “Books are not a hazard. It’s all about freedom of choice. If you want to read a book, you should be able to.”

No banned books at NIU

Although some libraries have endorsed the concept, NIU’s has a solid stance when it comes to book banning.

“We’re very strongly opposed to it,” said Mary Munroe, interim dean of university libraries.

NIU, unlike some institutions, does not currently have any banned reading materials.

“School libraries will ban books because of the age group; Books that they feel are not appropriate for children,” Munroe said. “We try very hard to speak with people who are concerned about certain reading materials and allow them to offer suggestions for material that they feel would be more suitable.”

A key for the library is making certain they have all of their topical bases covered.

“We try to appeal to everyone,” said Munroe, who cited the issue of texts containing varying viewpoints on evolution and creationism as an example.

Munroe applauded the resource center for promoting awareness of the issue.

“Anything that draws attention to the issue of book banning will help people to resist it,” she said. “I’m glad that they are doing it.”

Justin Weaver is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.