LPGA enlists help of NIU business students

By Lauren Stott

DeKALB | This semester, some NIU business students will have a “hole-in-one” opportunity to help promote the 2009 Solheim Cup, a women’s golf tournament put on by the Ladies Professional Golf Association.

“Rich Harvest Farms approached us when they found out they were selected to host the [2009] Solheim Cup,” said Kim Judson, assistant marketing professor. “A [big reason] we were asked is because Jerry Rich [the owner of the course] is an NIU alum.”

Rich Harvest Farms asked the NIU marketing department if their students would be interested in helping to promote the cup.

Judson and Tim Aurand, an associate marketing professor, decided to present the opportunity to their students in the form of a class. While Judson will actually be teaching the class, Aurand will “provide input from a strategic standpoint,” Judson said.

“We went out to [Rich Harvest Farms] to see what it was like,” Judson said, “then we came back and started brainstorming about how we could incorporate it in the classroom.”

The class is made up of 12 marketing students who were interviewed for their spot in the class. Judson said they had to show an interest in special events marketing, sports marketing and have oral presentation skills.

In the second half of the class, students will develop a presentation to promote awareness for the Solheim Cup, Judson said. For now, though, the students are learning all they can about sports and event marketing.

“Right now we are just reading the textbook, overviewing what we have learned and finding out what they expect from us,” said Kristin Kowynia, a senior marketing major enrolled in the class.

Since the class is made up of only 12 people, it makes it easier to work with each other, she said.

“Having a small class really lets people volunteer their opinions more openly and we can get to know everyone better,” said Ashley LePard, a senior marketing major, who is also in the class.

The students’ goal is to try to get sponsorship from local towns and have the chambers of commerce spread the word. The students will be paired off and each pair will put together a presentation for a chamber of commerce in the area, Judson said. Both Judson and Aurand are excited to see what their students will produce.

“This is a phenomenal opportunity,” Aurand said. “It’s a win-win-win situation: a win for NIU, a win for Rich Harvest Farms and a win for the LPGA. It’s really great for everyone involved.”

Lauren Stott is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.