Weather forces SA Expo inside

By Carlene Eck

DeKALB | Rows of tables, cardboard cutouts and hand-drawn posters welcomed students to this year’s Organizational Expo hosted by the Student Association.

The Expo originally was planned to take place in Central Park, between Grant and Stevenson, but was moved to the Chick Evans Field House.

Grounds decided it would be better to move the Expo indoors because of the weather, said Aaron Langguth, SA chief of staff.

Though the event was advertised to host 200 organizations and welcome thousands of students, turnout was not as expected. Fifty to 60 organizations showed up to the Expo to promote interest and get students to sign up, Langguth said.

A disc jockey was hired to lure students into the building with music and the promise of free food. Once inside, students were greeted by the Groundhogs break dancers and rows of tables, each competing for attention.

Next to the tables the SA set up an inflatable track, rock wall, Dance Dance Revolution and bags. Free pizza and cotton candy also was provided.

Because of the last-minute location change, some of the originally-scheduled amenities were not set up, including an inflatable maze, boxing ring and dunk tank.

“This really helps out the organizations that don’t get a lot of publicity,” Langguth said.

He also said fraternities and sororities have their own style of recruitment, so they don’t usually come to the Expo. About half of the tables, however, were Greek organizations.

Other organizations that showed up ranged from the Army ROTC and College Republicans to the Anime Club and Ultimate Frisbee Club.

It’s important to get involved with different organizations, said freshman business major Kirk Seppa. He was interested in joining an athletic organization.

Carlene Eck is a Campus Reporter and Christopher Norman is the Student Association beat reporter for the Northern Star.