S.A. elections suffer low turnout

By Christopher Norman

In the last four years, fewer than four percent of NIU students voted in the Student Association general election.

The Spring 2006 executive election had 410 votes — less than two percent of the student population. Even though the SA election was combined with the Campus Activities Board election, it still had one of the lowest turnouts in years.

Students hoping to get involved with the student government will have a chance this fall. Anyone interested in running for the SA Senate can attend one of two informational meetings on Sept. 6 or 7. Students who attend will learn how to get a spot on the fall ballot. The meetings will be held in the Holmes Student Center in room 506 Wednesday and 505 Thursday at 7 p.m., and will provide information on the responsibilities of a senator as well how to run for election.

Robert Batey, the newly appointed speaker of the senate, said he plans to get students aware of the upcoming informational meetings by placing ads in the Northern Star and putting up flyers, and to get people interested through word of mouth.

Batey said he also plans to get more people interested in voting in next month’s election by speaking with organizations on campus and helping them understand why it is important to vote.

To new students and prospective senate candidates, Batey said, “Get informed and come to the meetings with a spirit that you want to help out. I don’t want this to be something just for their resume, I want this to be an experience.”

Christopher Norman is the Student Association beat reporter for the Northern Star.