Q&A Freshmen and Transfer Students

By Lauren Stott

DeKALB | Buying books, breaking in meal cards and bribing roommates for the bed by the window is how most students spend their first days at NIU. So how did new students fare this past week? The Northern Star sat down individually with three freshmen and three transfer students to find out about their first impressions and future plans.

Northern Star: How did move-in day go? Was it rough or smooth?

Greg Razka: “I moved in during late afternoon, so there were no lines and it went really well.”

Brittany Tardi: “It didn’t take too long, but we did get the wrong beds in our room and had to switch with another room.”

NS: How is life with your roommate?

Krystle Marshall: “My roommate wasn’t someone that I know, but she’s really cool and we actually hang out a lot. I would prefer to be alone, but if I have to have a roommate, it would be her.”

Odenweller: “It’s good; it’s better [rooming with] someone you already know.”

Bhatt: “I like it [because] I’ve known all of the guys since high school.”

Neubauer: “I get along with my roommate really well. We’ve had no problems so far.”

NS: Are you planning on getting involved in any extracurricular activities this semester?

Katie Odenweller: “Probably a dance class, I want to check out the clubs to see what there is. Maybe something in photography.”

Joe Neubauer: “Maybe an intramural [club], something to meet people. I just need something to entertain myself.”

Tardi: “Maybe a dance program or something.”

Nish Bhatt: “I’m not sure about that yet, I’m still looking around.”

Razka: “I’ll probably do lacrosse. I played in high school and at Western, where I transferred from.”

NS: Do you have any interest in Greek life?

Razka: “No, I have too many other things going on with school. I’ll be pretty busy.”

Bhatt: “A couple of friends told me some positive and some negative things about it, so I’m in the middle right now.”

Odenweller: “No, I just want to live in the dorms.”

Tardi: “No, it’s just not for me.”

Neubauer: “I don’t know, at my school there weren’t any [fraternities], so I don’t know what it would be like.”